Your first impression had better be a good one. With your CV being you introducing yourself to a potential employer, you had better not fluff it. As a recruiter I am well aware of how a disorganized or messy CV will stop your chances of even just getting a call back, never mind getting a job.
Keep in mind that the person reading your CV doesn’t know you, he has never met you and owes you nothing. This is a harsh reality you will have to face if you are to get a job.
Communication is the key word in writing a CV. Communication means to take everything that you want the potential employer to know about you, put it in a format where he can see it and receive the same idea that you wanted him to get. He must be able to see exactly who you are and what you can do and have done.
Always be 100% truthful on your CV. Lies will catch up with you and could destroy your career.
Here are examples of what should be on your CV:
- Full name with nick name (if you have one)
- Location and where your home address (if they are different)
- Marital status
- Your profession (Clerk, Admin Manager, Welder, CEO etc)
- Last three positions you have held
- Computer literacy
- Equipment that you are able to use
- Languages spoken
- Driver’s license
- Areas you are prepared in
Page 2 to end of employment history
- Current employer
- Your position at current employer
- Date you started and finished at employer
- Projects completed with values if applicable
- Duties and responsibilities
- Reason for leaving
- Contactable reference
- Declare all the above is true
Do not write your own biography telling of how you see yourself. Unfortunately this does your CV no good.
If you have written references from recent employers, you can attach to your CV.
An employer wants to see how you are going to take pressure off of him/her. The candidate that communicates this most clearly and convincingly will get the position. Keep this in mind when writing your CV.
He/she does not want to see a desperate person pleading for a job. Employers are usually bright and intelligent so don’t underestimate them. They will notice that you look desperate and also know that a desperate people seldom are truthful.